Shades of Sinatra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shades of Sinatra

I'm happy to read that "Shades of Sinatra" is coming to Sam's Town. This was a hidden gem at the Clarion when I saw it in 2013.

Here is my review at that time:

I have no reservations recommending Shades of Sinatra. It was under-attended and seemed to me a hidden Vegas gem. These singers made it clear that they were not trying to impersonate Sinatra, but their entire delivery of the songs, their intonation, everything was so close to Sinatra that we could close our eyes and it would seem he was singing. Lisa Smith Sings with the three men: Carmine Mandia, Larry Liso, Ryan Baker and what a voice she has. It is worth the trip to hear her and the way she styled the songs, bringing in bits that reminded me of Billy Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald along with vocal. Her voice was clear and powerful and did bits with the songs that took my breath away.
    The four of them did some light comedic stage antics with the music and this too seemed so much like the stuff the Rat Pack did on stage and in nightclubs of the time.
    I liked this show much better than any Rat Pack show I have seen; perhaps it comes off more authentic when no one is trying to pretend to actually be a particular star but just singing the music with in the manner it was sung with the body language Sinatra used. I'm a tough audience. For a while I just stopped going to shows that impersonate because they always had a false ring. The last I saw at LVH was really bad.

Carmine did stage bits around drinking alcohol that reminded me of the sort of antics Dean Martin did, but his voice was all Sinatra.

I loved every bit of it and I’ll be back to see it again. Wild Bill seemed to like it too.

It was hugely under attended. Of course, that gave us front row seats. I bought the tickets for $9.50 from Goldstar. They were listed as free and the money was a service charge.
    What a shame to see so many empty seats!
    However, this meant that each woman in the audience was given personal attention by Carmine, who pretended to be a womanizer with Lisa Smith pretending jealousy.

The venue itself was an antique. In a time when so much of Vegas has been destroyed for "improvement" here is a fine, old looking theater that Debbie Reynolds built to play in herself.
    It made the entire experience like going back into time.

I usually find some small criticism or think one performer weak in some manner. I can say nothing bad about this show. Take the time to see it.

I don't expect I'll see it for the price I paid at the Clarion.
    It is ironic that it comes to Sam's Town, because I heard of it when one of the performers sang at the Sam's Town review Toast of the Town

Re: Shades of Sinatra

I also enjoyed the show at the Clarion. It looks like the show is a one-time event on Jan 9th at Sam's.

Sam's Town Live Boulder Strip Events - SamsTownLV.com

Comment

Yeah. It probably won't be there when I go. Still, Sam's Town sometimes gets these performers who cycle through every little while and some get a weekly gig. It could happen.

Comment

The Jan 9th show at Sam's has been cancelled per their website

Shades of Sinatra - Home

Comment

Well, so much for those great hopes.

Comment

Working...
          X