The Difference between booking in September and my usual November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Difference between booking in September and my usual November

In the far past, when I was working, I could only go to Vegas in the summer and generally went for frugal deals in August. When I first retired, I added in December to see the cowboys and again find very frugal deals. The year I turned 60 for example, I stayed a month in December (my birthday was in October) and invited everyone I knew to meet me, saying I would help arrange a good hotel.

I stayed mostly at the Orleans. Folks came who had never been to Vegas and my month was full of friends and family and it was a tremendous birthday party. I found early deals in one part of December and later deals in another, mostly at the Orleans and no one except one friend who wanted the Bellagio, and another who wanted Tuscany, paid more than twenty five dollars, even on weekends, with no resort fees.

At the time 10/7 double bonus was their signature game. In fact, I watched them downgrade to 9/6 while I was there. Seeing machines I played one day and gone the next was very disturbing.

It was a smart move on the Orleans part because most players don't know anything about pay tables. Those Double Bonus 9/6 machines are still there, right along side Double Double Bonus 9/6 that is such a better play.

Lately, since we migrate to Florida in winter, I've just been going to Vegas once a year, usually starting around Halloween and then escaping a good portion of November, my least favorite upper New York month.

September and early October I'd save for fishing. I'd start a trip at Halloween, so as to get the October and the November comps in the same 20 to 23 day trip.

I had no idea how nice it is in September for swimming. All the pools were warm enough. Some days were too warm and that put a strain on bus riding, but in general, with good planning, I could make September to early October my go to time next year.

However, for any sort of deal in late September I have to stay away from the Life Is Beautiful festival. Or else I have to stay out of downtown for that weekend. I've hit it twice now and hated it both times.

I also was able to come at the time some of the writers gathered for the Gaming Exposition. That was great because I met up with John Growchoski who I"ve read for years and met Steve Bourie and son Matt. Great conversation at Sam's Town. I learned a lot and enjoyed that company.

Re: The Difference between booking in September and my usual November

Originally posted by dewey089 View Post
    In the far past, when I was working, I could only go to Vegas in the summer and generally went for frugal deals in August. When I first retired, I added in December to see the cowboys and again find very frugal deals. The year I turned 60 for example, I stayed a month in December (my birthday was in October) and invited everyone I knew to meet me, saying I would help arrange a good hotel.

I stayed mostly at the Orleans. Folks came who had never been to Vegas and my month was full of friends and family and it was a tremendous birthday party. I found early deals in one part of December and later deals in another, mostly at the Orleans and no one except one friend who wanted the Bellagio, and another who wanted Tuscany, paid more than twenty five dollars, even on weekends, with no resort fees.

At the time 10/7 double bonus was their signature game. In fact, I watched them downgrade to 9/6 while I was there. Seeing machines I played one day and gone the next was very disturbing.

It was a smart move on the Orleans part because most players don't know anything about pay tables. Those Double Bonus 9/6 machines are still there, right along side Double Double Bonus 9/6 that is such a better play.

Lately, since we migrate to Florida in winter, I've just been going to Vegas once a year, usually starting around Halloween and then escaping a good portion of November, my least favorite upper New York month.

September and early October I'd save for fishing. I'd start a trip at Halloween, so as to get the October and the November comps in the same 20 to 23 day trip.

I had no idea how nice it is in September for swimming. All the pools were warm enough. Some days were too warm and that put a strain on bus riding, but in general, with good planning, I could make September to early October my go to time next year.

However, for any sort of deal in late September I have to stay away from the Life Is Beautiful festival. Or else I have to stay out of downtown for that weekend. I've hit it twice now and hated it both times.

I also was able to come at the time some of the writers gathered for the Gaming Exposition. That was great because I met up with John Growchoski who I"ve read for years and met Steve Bourie and son Matt. Great conversation at Sam's Town. I learned a lot and enjoyed that company.
    Glad to see you are still plugging away Dewey . I am on a tablet so forgive this text . I read your 4 Queens message also. The /Queens has been inconsistent lately . They're up and down on comps . I think the Plaza is wors. And the D did not respond to my play also . I had the pleasure of meeting Anthony Curtis crossing the street to the Downtown Grand . He is a very personable guy.

Comment

Re: The Difference between booking in September and my usual November

The Four Queens has me really confused, but I like the last bit. Two free weekend rooms and not based on last trip's play.
      I got my 15 day pass at that Walgreen's you told me about. It is a great spot. Open 24 hours.

I'm done with the D, but I don't know yet how I am with the Four Queens.

Nice to hear from you Keno

Comment

Working...
      X