Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pokerdog283's poker bluffing stragedy

Bluffing: Pulling the Wool

Bluffing we all do it. Some pull them off well, some not so well, and we have all pulled one off at the wrong time and got busted. Alright not everyone bluffs, we have all ran into that player before too, plays solid no bluff poker and on occasion we have run into that player, badly. Here I will review different kinds of bluffs and some uses for bluffing and some tips to use when bluffing. Betting or raising with a horrible hand, this one is used in situations where you want to act strong but are actually weak, or are low stacked and want people to go away. Betting out or raising in the earlier low cost rounds to pick up blinds cheap and get others out and project a strong image. Semi bluffs which are used to get others out of a hand however if called have several out to improve to the best hand. Bluffs are useful in a few ways if your holdings are weak and you bluff others out then that was a success. If you semi bluff and it builds a larger pot and you catch to win the hand it is also successful. However if your bluff is called this could also work to your advantage. The players at the table have now seen this bluff and labeled you as a loose bluffing player, change gears and use this to draw those same players into bigger pots later that you win with the best hand. Below I have listed some tips guidelines I use when bluffing or deciding on bluffing:

1. Think about how many people you are trying to bluff, bluffs are best when the hand is down to one or two people.

2. Focus your bluffs on the weaker players at the table

3. Try to imply that you have certain hands and if the bet is called not reraised be sure to follow up on the bluff with a continuation to further imply your hand strength

4. Bluff or semi bluff at a pot where no one bets if you believe it will be successful

5. Do NOT over bluff, bluffing to be bluffing is a quick way to a loss! Your goal is to have a solid table image to your opponents.

I try to keep my bluffs within these parameters and have found bluffing to be a powerful tool when not over utilized. Try these tips for yourself and hopefully bluffing will an effective weapon in your poker arsenal.

Re: pokerdog283's poker bluffing stragedy

Good stuff pokerdog.

Here's something about bluffing that I just put in my new book that I'm working on:

When to Bluff?

1. When you have a psychological edge.
    2. When people have been folding to your bets.
    3. If you have a tight image.
    4. If your opponent has a small stack.
    5. If you have shown strength before the flop.
    6. If scare cards are on the board.
    7. When you feel weakness.
    8. Your opponent’s state of mind.
    9. Your opponent’s style.
    10. If you can put an opponemt on a hand.
    11. Your table position.
    12. How many players are left.
    13. The pot size.

Terrence "VP Pappy" Murphy

"Poker is all about resisting the urge to gamble."
    --VP Pappy

Comment

Re: pokerdog283's poker bluffing stragedy

Fantastic!!! All the best on the Book!!!

Originally posted by vppappy View Post
      Good stuff pokerdog.

Here's something about bluffing that I just put in my new book that I'm working on:

When to Bluff?

1. When you have a psychological edge.
      2. When people have been folding to your bets.
      3. If you have a tight image.
      4. If your opponent has a small stack.
      5. If you have shown strength before the flop.
      6. If scare cards are on the board.
      7. When you feel weakness.
      8. Your opponent’s state of mind.
      9. Your opponent’s style.
      10. If you can put an opponemt on a hand.
      11. Your table position.
      12. How many players are left.
      13. The pot size.

Terrence "VP Pappy" Murphy

"Poker is all about resisting the urge to gamble."
      --VP Pappy

Comment

Working...
      X