My Review of Human Nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Review of Human Nature

I had not read a negative review of Human Nature, so I expected a good show; however, this group of four simply excited and delighted me in every way.
    Even when I love a show, I tend to find some weakness or error or shortcoming. Not here. Their perfectly blended voices complemented by energetic Motown moves, which were simple yet made complex by variety and error-less synchronization. A bit of talk celebrated their rise without seeming arrogant and reported genuine delight without wallowing in the sappy. When they took the show off the stage an on to tables, they engaged the audience without feeling intrusive.
    And while my expectations were high before the show, my seats ( a bit too close up and a bit off to the left I thought) worried me. I had bought the VIP seating because faces are very important to me. But as I waited for the show, talking with another poster from a Vegas discussion board, I had second thoughts about not trying a tip for a better seat.
    My worries increased when the loud Motown started the show and speaker seemed to be inside my left ear and vibrating my eardrum. I happily remembered an earplug left in my wallet from my plane ride noise reduction efforts, and that worked perfectly, and I could stop wondering how to do Motown moves and clap with one finger in my ear.
    The audience did participate. We were taught one Motown move for "Stop in the Name of Love" and encouraged to get on our feet and dance, and we did. That stretching and moving added to our comfort level and made us feel a part of the action.
    Some of their moves had been taught by the Temptations and by Mary Wilson of the Supremes. Smokey Robinson sponsored their success and the acapella version of his OOH Baby Baby has to be one of the best single vocals I have ever heard.
    Also the contrast between loud Motown (the band was phenomenal) and soft acapella harmony avoided that feeling two thirds through a show of being jaded by the same sytle music.
    Being 63 did not hurt either. This music was from my teens and while I was more folk than Motown during those years, we all listened to whatever topped the charts and I found I knew the words to all the songs. I felt like a kid again.
    The boys help with that because the Soul Traine reminds us that they started in high school together. I also had two sons in show choir who started their own acapella group with friends, and this sound brought back those memories as well.
    I never can remember all the things I hear at concerts, but here are a few:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Just my imagination

Soul Train

Mr Postman with just voices and piano

I was not at all ready for the show to end. Generally, no matter how good the music is, just at the end I feel a bit of weariness. When I left this concert, I thought I could easily come back the next day and not be the least bit jaded

Re: My Review of Human Nature

Thanks for your review. I was thinking of seeing Human Nature in September when I head out to Las Vegas. I agree that I have not read a bad review about the show. Sounds like a winner to me!

Comment

Re: My Review of Human Nature

My wife is going to Vegas with me in November and it is on the top of my list of things for both of us to see.

Comment

Working...
      X