• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus passes now at Walgreen's

Walgreens
    495 Fremont St. #170
    702-385-1284

I called this Walgreens that is located right there on the Fremont Experience and they do sell 5 day bus passes at the senior citizen discount price (you need an ID for this ) and with no service charge.
    So you don't have to get off at the BTC anymore. Just take that WAX from the airport to downtown ($1 for seniors) and when you are ready grab the discount 5 day pass.

Whether these are good for tourists on Deuce or SDX is still a question up for debate. No one to my knowledge has been asked for a Nevada local ID yet or asked to pay extra. At $10 for seniors with ID this is a great price for five days of all access even if it is just residential routes. This page from the official bus site calls them all access passes and mentions other convenient locations.

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tra...re_vendors.cfm
    Last edited by dewey089; 06-14-2011, 12:10 PM.

Re: Bus passes now at Walgreen's

dewey, That's great news! Thanks for posting it!

Comment

I put the question of residential passes out there on the bus Facebook page and they promised me an answer from the transportation section. If they give it, I'll pass it on.

Comment

Sure is more convenient ducking into walgreens to buy bus passes.

Keep us up to date, regarding those bus passses.

Thanks for your effort.

Comment

I am not reading that you can get the 3 day at Walgreen's or the 24 hour, but many Vegas visitors like to use the 5 day pass. Walgreen's also sells the 30 day pass, which depending on the options might be a bargain because I believe that it is by definition all access.
          The problem with getting a deal is that every time the question of using residential passes on Deuce or SDX is asked we get a different answer. One time a fellow asked on three buses in Vegas before he gave up.

The first said the residential passes were good everywhere.
          The second said that the residential passes were never good on the Deuce or SDX (this is clearly wrong)
          The Third said the passes were only good with a Nevada license.

I called the bus company and they said that technically number three answer was correct, but actually no bus drivers were looking at ID to see if anyone was a local. It was an "unadvertised glitch in the system"

Another fellow twice has been told by the residential WAX bus driver at the airport that the 24 hour passes were good on any bus, and I was told that in May as well.

So, we will see what they put on Facebook.
          I suspect that no one is checking ID but that they may not want to tell the tourists.

Then buses change again on 9-11-11, or at least that is the plan. Schedules change. The new Express from Downtown to Henderson along Boulder begins and that is very exciting, but buses will be less fequent along Tropicana and Flamingo and that is not exciting for me. I primarily use the 202. Frequency is just reduced by a few minutes, but still it is a pain.

All that being said, the buses are still the cheapest and for tired drinkers like clearly the safest way to get around Vegas.
          Too many drunk drivers. Too many dysfunctional overtired tourists making erratic driving decisions, and too many aggressive locals who are angry that they have to drive around both of these sorts of folks.

Comment

Here it is folks. Hot off the presses.

Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada wrote: "Hi Dewey. If you are not a local and are staying in Vegas for more than 24 hours, we advise you to purchase a 5-day pass in order to have access to the entire transit system, including the SDX and Deuce (no up charges and you do not need a local Nevada ID). The 24-hour residential pass is valid on the SDX and Deuce only when passengers present a local ID. Please be advised that Walgreens only sells the 30-day and 5-day passes. Thank you."

Comment

Hi Dewey, Got my senior pass last trip in June. Going to a conference at Embassy Suites near the Convention Center in July and plan on taking the 108 using my senior pass and paying $2.50 till I can get a 3 day or 5 day pass. Any advice?

Comment

The 24 hour residential pass should cost you $2 at the airport on the 108. That should get you to where you are going, but I have not ridden in that direction. Here is what RTC maps out:

McCarran International Airport
                5757 Wayne Newton Blvd.
                Las Vegas, NV 89119
                Walk to McCarran International Airport (N)
                About 4 mins (0.2 mi)
                McCarran International Airport (N) Stop ID: 1785
                108 Bus towards 108 Paradise NB
                8:30pm - 8:49pm (20 mins, 15 stops)
                Paradise @ Convention Center (N) Stop ID: 4066
                Walk to 3150 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, NV 89109
                About 2 mins (0.1 mi)

Las Vegas Convention Center
                3150 Paradise Road
                Las Vegas, NV 89109

At any SDX strip vending machine you should be able to get a 3 day pass for $10 that is clearly all access. You first put in your ID and that brings up a new and reduced menu of prices. That probably is safer than trying to use a residential pass for the SDX and Deuce.
                Do not try this if the vending machine is an old one and clearly only for credit cards for Deuce. Your ID will get stuck inside. The SDX stops have the newer machines.
                There is one right near the convention center. 10 on this map
                http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tra...(11-07-10).pdf
                By September all this changes. Your senior pass won't be good at the vending machines. All fares will be the same there. But in July it all ought to work.

On the other hand if you see a Walgreen's or Albertson's along your 108 route, get off the bus and buy a 5 day pass for the same $10. I don't think these are activated until you board with them, so use your 24 hour pass for a day and then use the 5 day. They are telling us that it is all access now.

And if you decide to try to use your 24 hour residential pass on the Deuce, be sure to tell us what happened, especially if they asked for a local ID or not.

Win.
                Last edited by dewey089; 06-22-2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks again Dewey for the excellent information. By the way I have taken buses to the Ethel M, and the Red Rock at different times and trips of course. Have a great trip!

Comment

Great idea about those (NEW ?) bus passes.
                    Should save some folks some dinero.

I've never been in an LV cab since 1977 & the few times, the cab, Whittlesea, just took us to the hotel.

I don't trust buses, nor not knowing the routes in town--we just take our rental car.

Good uc to the bustakers (hope you're noy carrying LOADS of luggage.

#1 pick was Irving from Duke---he played ELEVEN WHOLE GAMES, go figure

Comment

Originally posted by dewey089 View Post
                      The 24 hour residential pass should cost you $2 at the airport on the 108. That should get you to where you are going, but I have not ridden in that direction. Here is what RTC maps out:

McCarran International Airport
                      5757 Wayne Newton Blvd.
                      Las Vegas, NV 89119
                      Walk to McCarran International Airport (N)
                      About 4 mins (0.2 mi)
                      McCarran International Airport (N) Stop ID: 1785
                      108 Bus towards 108 Paradise NB
                      8:30pm - 8:49pm (20 mins, 15 stops)
                      Paradise @ Convention Center (N) Stop ID: 4066
                      Walk to 3150 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, NV 89109
                      About 2 mins (0.1 mi)

Las Vegas Convention Center
                      3150 Paradise Road
                      Las Vegas, NV 89109

At any SDX strip vending machine you should be able to get a 3 day pass for $10 that is clearly all access. You first put in your ID and that brings up a new and reduced menu of prices. That probably is safer than trying to use a residential pass for the SDX and Deuce.
                      Do not try this if the vending machine is an old one and clearly only for credit cards for Deuce. Your ID will get stuck inside. The SDX stops have the newer machines.
                      There is one right near the convention center. 10 on this map
                      http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tra...(11-07-10).pdf
                      By September all this changes. Your senior pass won't be good at the vending machines. All fares will be the same there. But in July it all ought to work.

On the other hand if you see a Walgreen's or Albertson's along your 108 route, get off the bus and buy a 5 day pass for the same $10. I don't think these are activated until you board with them, so use your 24 hour pass for a day and then use the 5 day. They are telling us that it is all access now.

And if you decide to try to use your 24 hour residential pass on the Deuce, be sure to tell us what happened, especially if they asked for a local ID or not.

Win.
                      Thanks again! I wrote a note to the RTC affirming your comments.

Comment

Thanks and just to let you know I wrote the RTC affirming your comments. Ken

Comment

Hey Dewey, or anyone who knows----we are going to LV in October, and I assume that means we can't get reduced-fare passes at vending machines. My question is, since we will not be near a retail vendor like Albertsons, can I get a reduced-fare pass at the SSTT?

Comment

Thanks Ken.

ddechenne: I never have gone to the South Transfer Station. At one time we could get everything there, then they cut back on live services. I am not certain what is left. The best is to call RTC and ask or perhaps someone else here knows. Of course at the BTC downtown you can get whatever you need.
                            Also, what I reported as happening in September is just what I read that is planned as of today. It could change. Keep going on their website to see what happens. They might rescind this unfair practice or put it off until after your trip. During these changing times we just don't know what they might decide or when. I think even some locals may be bothered by what amounts to a raise in fares for seniors and disabled who buy in strip vending machines.
                            Last edited by dewey089; 06-26-2011, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Getting bus passes at a Walgreens sure makes it easier to get, especially with all their locations.
                              SUCH A DEAL, OY VAY.

Comment

Working...
                              X