Queston about claiming a jackpot prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queston about claiming a jackpot prize

I won a $2000 progressive jackpot on a slot machine today, but due to certain personal circumstances that would be complicated by coming home with a W2 form for the taxes, I am unable to cash the winning ticket in myself.
    My question is, are these slot machine tickets transferable? In other words, could I give the winning ticket to a friend to cash in, and in return for doing me the favor give him a percentage of the winnings to cover the taxes plus a couple hundred dollars for his trouble?
    I'm not looking to do anything illegal here...just trying to see if there are other options for cashing in the ticket.

Re: Queston about claiming a jackpot prize

If you won a $2,000 jackpot how did you get the winning ticket from the machine?

As far as I know, when you win $1,200 or more, on a single win (not cumulative), the machine locks up and requires you to get a hand-pay from an attendant and fill out a W2G for tax purposes.

If you were already issued a winning ticket from the machine there would be no requirement to fill out a W2G when you go to cash the ticket.

On another note, I have played as a partner with a friend who won $4,000 for a royal flush on a video poker machine. He signed for the ticket and we split the money. I also gave him an extra 30% for the taxes he had to pay. As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with doing that. However, your circumstances are a little different.

Comment

Working...
    X