Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Nugget and MSS buffets compared

Tastes change.
    I once thought of Main Street Station buffet as one of my favorites in all of Vegas. Now, I rarely go.

My favorite dish there was the collard greens from the soul section mixed with the Hawaiian kalua pulled pork and topped with Chinese noodles.
    They have stopped serving the noodles, but I can still make the rest of the dish only I’m leaning away from meat and carbs.
    Then I loved the iced cream choices because they included added butterfinger bits.
    Well, I’m leaning away from dairy and sugar.Which also means my old favorite sticky buns are off my personal menu.
    As for fruit and veggie choices, this buffet is limited. Most of the fruit is very bland.
    However, it is still possible to get a free buffet with no point reduction by playing a certain amount through the machines on the first day of your visit. Ask at the player’s club. This freebie is unadvertised and is good for the expensive night buffets as well as the cheaper ones. More must be run through for supper than for breakfast, but it does not matter what the price of that day happens to be.
    I always liked the Golden Nugget buffet, but with my new eating focus, it is my new favorite in downtown.
    Topping the list is smoked salmon with sliced tomato, capers, and onion. They sometimes have a horseradish, but not at breakfast. In my mind a creamy horseradish makes this dish I’ve asked the cafeteria management to have it in as that is the way the dish is prepared in most places. They just smile. I may bring my own next time.
    There are also plenty of creative salad choices other than the traditional lettuce based salad.
    Fruit choices are varied and very good And went well beyond the usual hard melon. . There were piles of apples and bananas for the taking. The pink grape fruit was delicious. A few prunes with just a small dab of yogurt was fine. Also there were plenty of good vegetables including some fine grilled zucchini.
    To buy this meal, I play a bit of poker in the poker room. Four hours gives me a voucher worth $10 for food. It is an awkward system, much more clumsy than the point system, and based on the memory of the brush. I note what time I come in and ask the brush about the food voucher just to set his mind up that I want one. In four and a half hours, whether I am done playing or not, I go up and ask for the voucher. It will be dated for that day, or for the next day if I play late at night. That date can be made for the following day or changed, but some of the floor (John) will not make the change. If told no, I just go back when the shift changes, say I did not have time to go the night before, and ask if it can be redated. That will do it. It is also a line pass, so on a busy morning it can be of extra value. Watch the prices to see how much of the buffet it buys. I used to do only mornings when a dollar and change would pay the price. Now, I use that buffet anytime for the healthy food selection.

Re: Golden Nugget and MSS buffets compared

Nice post Dewey. Try a little grainy mustard with the salmon, you might like it and its good for you. I have used the ACG coupons for the 2 for 1 Nugget and I enjoy the Main Street also. I have always paid in points so I appreciate the info. you gave, because I usually play there also.
    Last edited by keno60; 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
    X